Examples of Building & Zoning case types

  • Building code violations
  • Zoning code violations

  • I called in the complaint on the building; why am I being summoned to a hearing?

Your assistance as a witness may be necessary.  Please contact the person who requested that you appear at the hearing for clarification.


  • How do I prove that I am not the owner of the building or property?

Please bring closing statements, records from the recorder of deeds or a lease showing that you were not responsible for the property on the date of the inspection to your hearing.


  • If I fixed the building problems while the inspector was standing there, why do I have to come to court?

When the Department of Building & Zoning suspects a violation they must send you a letter giving you 30 days to correct the violation.  If after 30 days the inspector returns to your property and believes that the violation has not been corrected you will be issued a ticket.  Please remember that the issuance of a ticket is merely an allegation.  Before the county will receive a finding of liability against you they must offer evidence that supports by a preponderance that the violation existed 30 days after you were given a chance to comply.

  • My order states that I have previously been found liable. Can I have another hearing?

It depends on why you were found liable.  If you were found default liable because you did not appear for your trial you may file a motion to set-aside that default judgment.  If you were found liable after a contested trial then your only option is to appeal.  You may file an appeal to the Circuit Court of Cook County at the Daley Center, 50 W. Washington St., Room 602. Appeals must be filed within 35 days of the issue date of the order.

  • How can I contact the building inspectors?

To contact a particular building inspector call the Department of Building & Zoning at (312)603-0500 and ask for your inspector by name. 

  • I have a lien on my property. Who do I contact to find out why?

For questions regarding the attempted collection of judgments please contact the Department of Revenue at (312)603-6870.

Copyright 2010 Cook County DOAH